Covid-19 vs Common Cold / Flu / Seasonal Alergies

 [Español]



Hi folks, 

I found myself coming down in the last couple of days WITH A COLD.

AY, how would one know / distinguish it from COVID-19?

Well, (1) I found a chart / compared symptoms -- my principal symptoms were: 

a) a SORE THROAT yesterday (COMMON for a cold, SOMETIMES for COVID-19)

b) a RUNNY NOSE / CONGESTION today (COMMON for a cold, RARE for COVID-19)

Otherwise, my breathing was fine, oximeter reading 98% (below 95% starts to indicate a possible COVID problem), no fever, etc.

(2) I still did a self evaluation on the CDC site.  It was recommended that I seek a health professional

(3) I made a quick appointment (for this morning / but they take walk-ups ... they take your name and you wait in your car until they call you) at St. Jude's Urgent Care.

(4) The doctor told me, "Yup, you have a cold, I could test you for Covid-19 but you're almost certainly going to test negative."  She also said, "PLEASE WEAR A MASK when around people and if you come to be very fatigued by Monday, please make another appointment to come here."

I write this because OTHERS OF YOU WILL COME DOWN WITH COLDS (please GET A FLU SHOT) this season and NOT EVERYTHING IS COVID-19.

So for your peace of mind, take advantage of the comparison chart, the CDC self-evaluation, get a pulse-oximeter (why? it costs $25 and will tell you immediately if there may be a problem), and when needed get a quick appointment with your doctor or at an urgent care facility like the one at St. Jude's here in Fullerton.

Sincerely and in Christ,

Fr. Dennis





Comments

Popular posts from this blog

A Pictorial Life of St. Philip Benizi at SPB Parish, Fullerton, CA

Interfaith Prayer Service on Zoom, Tues, Aug 8th at 12:15 PM for the 47 People "Without Fixed Abode" who died in July 2023 in OC

Interfaith Prayer Service on Zoom, Tues, Oct 10th at 12:15 PM for the 51 People "Without Fixed Abode" who died in Sept 2023 in OC